History of Kannur Police

On re-organisation of States on linguistic basis on 01/11/1956,Kasaragode Taluk coming under South Canara district, Mysore state was merged with Malabar district having the boundary from Olavara, Payyannur in the north to Iringalakkuda in the South. On 01/01/1957 Kannur district consisting of Kasaragode, Taliparamba, Kannur, Thalassery, North Wayanad and South Wayanad Taluk was formed. On 15/01/1957 South Wayanad Taluk was merged with Kozhikode district. On, 01/11/1980 North Wayanad in Kannur district and South Wayanad in Kozhikode district were merged and Wayanad district was formed with headquarter at Kalpetta. On 24/05/1984, Kasaragode Taluk was detached from Kannur district and made the 14th district in Kerala. Now Kannur district has an area of 2996 Sq. KMs with boundaries, Chandera and Cheemeni Police Station limit in north, Mahe, Wayanad and Kozhikode Rural in the south, Coorg in east and Arabian Sea in the west. The district has 87 KMs of seashore and 7 rivers. There are four Taluks Viz.. Kannur, Thalassery, Iritty and Taliparamba consisting of 129 Villages, 6 Municipalities, 82 Grama Panchayaths and 9 Block Panchayaths

District Police is headed by District Police Chief. There are 4 Sub divisional Police Offices, 13 Circle Offices and 39 Police stations in this district. District Armed Reserve, District Special Branch, District Crime Record Bureau, Narcotic Cell, Crime Dettachment and Women Cell are also under the control of District Police Chief, Kannur. Shri. V Subramaniyam was first Superintendent of Police of Kannur District on the formation of the state in 1957