Kannur Town Circle

490 - 2763336 ciknrtownknr.pol@kerala.gov.in

Originally the Cannanore Circle comprised of the entire Chirakkal Taluk and villages of Kolari, Keezhallur, Pazassi, Pattanoor, Chavasseri, Thillankeri, Muzhakunnu, Aralam, Payam and Koodali of Kottayam Taluk. Two of the Police stations – Payyannur and Taliparamba were detached from the original Cannanore Town Circle to form Payyannur Circle in January 1947. As per GO (MS) 105/2002 Home dtd 06.07.2002 with Kannur Town Police Station and Traffic Police Station within its jurisdiction and started functioning in the adjacent room of Traffic Police Station with effect from 01.08.2002. The new CI office building has been constructed adjacent to the Police Club and CI office has been sifted from Taluk office building to new building on 29.10.05.

Kannur formerly known as Cannanore, is a city and a Municipal Corporation in Kannur district. It is the administrative headquarters of the Kannur District. During British rule in India, Kannur was known as Cannanore, which is used now only by the Indian Railways. It is largest city of the North Malabar region. Kannur was an important trading center in the 12th century, with active business connections with Persia and Arabia. It served as the British military headquarters on India's west coast until 1887.

Kannur is a very ancient city which used to be one of the three important cities of the whole western Indian sub continent 200 years ago, competing with Bombay and Karachi. It is said to be that the Loud Sage - the ship of King Solomon had anchored off the coast of Kannur to gather wood for the construction of the Temple of the Lord. Kannur's name has mentions in the Periplus of the Eritrean Naura and sea, a work of the great Greek antiquity.

The modern town is referred as Kannur Town. Kannur, as a district and surrounding areas were mostly ruled by the famous Kolathiri rajas (kings). When the state of Kerala was formed the district took the name Kannur, since the administrative offices were established here. Before that, Kannur was under the Chirakkal Taluk of Madras state under British rule

Famous Payyambalam beach is situated in western side of Kannur Town. Payyambalam beach is popular for the graves of some of the most prominent social leaders of Kerala. Leaders like E. K. Nayanar, Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pillai, A. K. Gopalan, Pamban Madhavan, Sukumar Azhikode and K. G. Marar are laid to rest near this beach.